Wednesday, August 3, 2011

39? Really??


The whole "getting older" thing is really throwing me off this year. I turned 39 a few weeks ago and it's really thrown me for a loop; I mean, I'm not just kissing 40, we're rolling around on the floor with our clothes almost completely off.

Part of the issue, I believe, is that the majority of my friends and my husband are anywhere between 5 and 10 years younger than me. What a strange circumstance to realize that you are not in your early thirties...or twenties by the way I act sometimes.

My reasoning...I lost ten years of my life in a blur of insanity and now I am just catching up to my "mind age". In my mind, and because of past circumstances, I really should only be 29, which means I get to do my thirties over!!! And because I really did not lose ten years, I know my 30's have been the best years of my life so far and I will get to enjoy them again!!!! Ahhh...if only I were a Hollywood writer, this would be a good film. If I see this idea later you'll find me on TMZ suing whoever stole it :)

Alas, while not mentally, chronically and physically I am 39 years old. My knees creak, I have to watch what I eat and drink, gone are the days when I could play kickball on a Thursday night until 10:00, engage in a rousing flip-cup tournament until 2:00am and sit alert and aware at my desk the next morning without the slightest hint of a hangover.

The good news is that certain traditions live on, the Last Birthday Bash was alive and well this year and MUCH fun. Times have changed; we stayed in a cabin instead of tents, there were six of us rather than twenty-six, I was in bed by 11:00 both nights and missed Corrin each and every second. Our best friends' lives have changed too and for the first time in my life I enjoyed a fully vegan supper thanks to the Webbs. Next year is a big one...I'm hoping for a trip to Ireland (it's my dream), but will happily spend another weekend in my favirote Colorado town with my husband, daughter and best friends.

I guess making out with 40 is not really all that bad. I'll enjoy the last eleven months of my thirties and then do what I have always done best...dive into my forties like there is no tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment