Thursday, September 17, 2009

Prepared Childbirth

Well, it took 30 weeks, but I have officially reached the point of being a little afraid of the whole labor process. I have always looked at it like I don't have much control over the process, and she's coming no matter what, so why freak out. Until last night...here I was bobbing along, blissfully unaware, and then we took our first "Prepared Childbirth" class. This is a four week course for three hours every Wednesday to help prepare you and our partner for labor and delivery.

I really did think that having three sisters, two sister-in-law and thirteen nieces and nephews would be all the prep I needed. Especially since one of my sisters is a labor and delivery nurse and I have heard some stories from her! Yeah, blissfully unaware. We spent time introducing ourselves, where we live, what flavor baby we are having, favorite gifts so far and what we wanted out of the class. Colin was cute, he wants to know how to help me the most. I, of course, wanted to know how to keep control of the situation and not have any craziness while I'm laboring. I can't handle the drama. This part was pretty cool. It was fun hearing what the other mothers and fathers had to say, and learning about the people I am going to spend twelve hours with over the next few weeks.

Then they showed the video. Real video of real people having real babies. Naturally, with no drugs and some serious screaming. And did you know that little sucker is purple when it comes out. That's going to freak me out! I'll say it, the whole thing sort of overwhelmed me. I mean, I know I'm pregnant, it's certainly not a surprise or anything. I am so excited to meet her and have her out and about, but I was sort of glossing over the labor part. I blocked out that I have to do that before she can be "out and about."

The good news, women have been doing this for millenia. I'm strong, I can totally handle it, with a really good anesthesiologist and same good music on the radio I'm ready to go!

1 comment:

  1. My dear dear girl- you're going to be a champ and the beautiful and amazing thing is that Corrin will work WITH your body to make you more comfortable. I don't know they talked to you about how she will turn 180 degrees while she is coming out but this is to ensure Mama's comfort. G-d does amazing things to help us women out. Oh and so does the anesthesiologist. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete